Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy Biiiiiirrrrrthday, Dear Husband...

My husband is quite the accomplished chef. He used to do a majority of the cooking at our home until I got knocked up, and now for some reason I seem to do all of it. (That is most definitely the topic of another post, however.) I've been the baker in the family--except for cake which is back under his expertise.


This year, for his birthday, I decided to surprise him by making a cake. I made this one, but with blackberry flavoring and using blackberries for most of the coloring and using the blackberry mint jam we made last summer for the filling. I also made a whipped cream frosting, which turned the whole thing into a kind of blackberry shortcake.Quite delicious and amazingly successful for my first layered cake ever.

We devoured it over the weekend when my family was in town visiting. My dad's birthday was also this weekend so we had plenty to celebrate.


Happy birthday, husband! I love you bunches and you're worth every minute of the many, many hours I spent on your cake.

5 comments:

  1. That. Looks. Amazing. I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Whit! And GORGEOUS cake! I think a how-to is in order. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY. Yes please with the how-to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stumbled on this blog by way of Blue Muse and have to comment: that berry layer cake is one of the most compelling food photos (and concepts) I've ever seen. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @CrankyGerd, thanks so much! It was super delicious. I was amazed it turned out. :)

    ReplyDelete